Wathiqati initiative was launched by Hamdan Bin Mohammed Heritage Center in August 2014 under the directive of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai. The initiative aims to contribute to the preservation and documentation of the UAE’s national heritage and provide a strong historical reference for future generations.
The Wathiqati initiative comes in line with His Highness’s belief that ensuring the preservation and documentation of the UAE’s heritage and history is a national duty that everyone– whether in government entities or civil society– must cooperate in and contribute to. The initiative includes a general invitation for official and non-official sources and individuals to contribute in conserving available historical documents, collectibles, and archival material.
What is a Document?
A document is a type of material that researchers depend upon when studying history, and belongs to the period under examination by the academic. It contains data and information which may include details about what happened, when and where.
Types of Documents
- Official and Non-Official Documents
- Official and Non-Official Letters
- Different Types of Reports
- Different Types of Contracts
- Charts and Data Tables
- Drawings and Manuscripts
- Laws and Pacts
- Minutes of Sessions and Meetings
- Biographies and Translated Materials
- Literary Documents
- News and Published Articles
- Testimonies Issued by Governmental and non-Governmental Organisations
- Recordings, Audio and Visual Interviews
- Old Books
- Preserving sources of information which assist in understanding, analysing and documenting the history and culture of the UAE.
- Acting as custodian of documents and manuscripts under its care, ensure preservation and all the while protect these items from damage and loss, to safeguard the rights of document owners.
- Creating a system to categorise documents for easier access.
- Making all available documents easily accessible to researchers, students and other interested parties.
- Establishing a resource centre equipped with all of the facilities necessary to preserve historical documents.
- Contributing towards the conservation of available historical documentation, in order to preserve the intellectual, scientific and cultural heritage of the UAE.
- Preserving documents so they can provide a strong historical reference for future generations.
- Showcasing documents in local and international exhibitions and events, in order for the world to develop a better appreciation of the history of the UAE.